Meuer Farm tpays homage to the King of Rock n' Roll
The Meuer Farm near Chilton is more than just a huge corn maze. Doug Raflik/Action Reporter Media
CHILTON - If you’re looking for a place to unplug and get lost, you’re in luck: Meuer Farm’s corn maze, N2564 U.S. 151, in Chilton, will open Saturday for its ninth season.
The maize-walled labyrinth, which is cut into 10 acres of cornfield, draws thousands of visitors each season, according to the Meuers, David and Leslie.
Each year the maze is cut with a specific theme in mind, and this year, that’s the king of Rock n’ Roll himself: Elvis. Per the Meuers, the choice was made to commemorate the 40th anniversary of Elvis’ death.
If you get the maze right on the first try, then time spent inside is approximately 30 minutes. However, those who can’t quite find their path should expect it to take upwards of an hour, as they walk through more than two and a half miles of paths and dead ends.
The maze is open from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, and from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays this Saturday through Oct. 31. There will also be glow sticks available for those who want to brave the maze after dark on Friday and Saturday nights.
Groups can also reserve time in the maze on Monday through Thursdays.
For those less keen on misplacing themselves amidst full-grown corn, Meuer Farm offers a variety of other activities. Hayrides offer a our of the farm, and last about 45 minutes along two miles of trails. While you ride, you’ll learn about the Brothertown creek, the groves of black walnut trees, and how the farm rotates its grazing cattle. The fall colors are a highlight of this trip, and rides run daily during the season.
Meuer Farm’s Activity Area offers an 80-foot tube slide, a fort made from straw, an animal area, duck races and a corn box.
Note: The video below is from 2015, but the Meuers still offers much of the same entertainment.
Meuer Farm also offers some themed weekends throughout its season:
- Sept. 16 and 17: Opening weekend, featuring helicopter rides from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., at $40 per ride.
- Sept. 23 and 24: This Elvis-themed weekend will offer a maze admission discount from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for anyone dressed up in something Elvis-related.
- Sept. 30 and Oct. 1: This Packers-themed weekend will offer a maze admission discount from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for anyone sporting green and gold.
- Oct. 7 and 8: Bring a new or gently used coat to be donated to Coats 4 Kids and receive free daytime admission to the maze, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Oct. 13, 14 and 15: Meuer Farm will host a portion of the Rural Arts Roadtrip, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday.
- Oct. 21 and 22: Bring a food donation for Feeding America, and receive maze admission discount from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Oct. 28 and 29: Children under the age of 12 who come dressed in a costume will receive free admission to the maze from noon to 4 p.m.
For more information about the maze, and for admission prices and hours on each segment of Meuer Farm, visit meuerfarm.com.