Estate planning webinars set
An interactive webinar entitled “Estate Planning for Your Family and Farm” will be held Thursday, Jan. 26, 2017 from 1 to 3 p.m., at the Dodge County Administration Building (127 East Oak St, Juneau).
Farm business owners looking to the future of their farming operations have many issues to consider. Succession planning includes planning for the owner generation’s later years; business planning to ensure the operation has financial capacity; developing the successor’s management skills; and estate and tax planning.
Estate planning needs to happen whether or not there will be a business succession. Careful consideration of the owners’ goals and the tools available is important to develop the right plan.
This webinar is for both the owner and successor generations to learn about estate planning tools and how to develop a plan with the help of estate planning professionals. If a business succession is involved, it is important to ensure the business assets are available in some way for the incoming business successor. Bridget Finke, an attorney with Valley Crossing Law in Baldwin, WI, will lead the webinar and topics include the following:
- Lifetime planning: powers of attorney for health care and finances, living wills and advanced directives;
- Choosing the estate planning vehicle that is right for your family: wills, trusts, transfer on death designations and other estate planning tools to consider;
- Tax consequences of death: estate taxes and stepped-up basis; and
- How to get started with estate planning.
Preregistration is required contact the Dodge County UW Extension Office at 920-386-3790 to register. There is a $5 per person fee to cover the cost of materials.
The webinar series continues into early spring of 2017. Future dates and topics are:
- Feb. 23, 2017 – Long Term Care: Planning for My Future Needs – Steve Shapiro, Medigap Insurance Specialist, State of Wisconsin Board on Aging and Long Term Care and the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance (1-3 p.m.)
- March 23, 2017 – Medicaid Eligibility and Recovery – Anthony Schmoldt, Attorney, Schmoldt Law Office (1-3 p.m.)