ALTO - Employees at Saputo Cheese Factory in Fond du Lac County remained at the Alto Community Center for several hours after a chlorine spill caused a plant evacuation Thursday morning. 

Along with the Fond du Lac County Sheriff's Office, multiple fire departments responded around 7:40 a.m. to the plant at N3545 County EE in the town of Alto after two employees — who were switching chlorine cylinders — were exposed to the chlorine and had difficulty breathing, according to Sheriff Ryan Waldschmidt. 

Fond du Lac Fire Rescue hazmat team treated some employees at the scene while they ventilated the area and LifeStar Ambulance took the injured to Waupun Memorial Hospital. About 125 employees evacuated the plant as it shut down. 

Non of the injuries were life-threatening, Waldschmidt said. 

Johnson School Bus Service transported the workers to the community center for the duration of the evacuation. Residents of about 10 homes near the plant also evacuated.

 Residents were allowed to return to their homes and roadways were reopened about 2:40 p.m. 

Assisting at the scene are departments from Alto, Fond du Lac, Brandon-Fairwater, Beaver Dam, Brownsville, Markesan, Waupun and Rosendale. 

Contact Sharon Roznik at 920-907-7936 or Follow her on Facebook at

RELATED: FDL Fire & Rescue recovers one vistim, searches for another in fatla house fire

RELATED: Waupun man indicted in bank robbery

Our subscribers make this coverage possible. Click to see The Reporter's special offers at and download our app on the App Store or Google Play.

Read or Share this story: