Warm temperatures, rain, speed up snowmelt, causing flooding throughout Brown County
This story is being provided free to all readers as a public service by the Green Bay Press-Gazette.
GREEN BAY - Most of the bridges over the East River throughout Allouez and Green Bay have been closed, according to the Brown County Sheriff's Office, and the Green Bay School District canceled Friday classes because of the flooding.
Emergency crews on Friday morning evacuated residents from Hartung Street, along the east shore of the East River near Mason Street due to rising water.
With temperatures in the 50s Thursday and rain throughout the evening and night, the resulting snowmelt has caused flooding of water- and roadways and some evacuations.
This morning, drivers can cross the East River on State 172 and the Leo Frigo Memorial Bridge, the sheriff's office said. It also warned of traffic congestion in these areas. Meanwhile, the State 172 off-ramps to County GV/Monroe closed Thursday and remain closed.
On Thursday evening, Brown County officials ordered a portion of Bellevue evacuated and another neighborhood to shelter in place as floodwaters from rain and melting snow swamped streets with up to 4 feet of water Thursday night.
The Brown County Emergency Management Office shortly after 7 p.m. told residents of Monroe Road between Dickenson Road and State 172 to leave their homes. Residents south of Lamers Bus Lines, 2937 Monroe Road, were told to drive south. Those north of the bus company were told to call (920) 391-6825 for assistance because the street is only passable by high-clearance vehicles.
To the north, residents of a subdivision on Daly Drive, east of Lime Kiln Road, were told not to leave their homes because of water up to 4 feet deep on Lime Kiln Road.
The National Weather Service has issued a flood warning until 3:45 a.m. Saturday for urban areas and small waterways in Brown County. The warning includes Kewaunee and Shawano counties.
Throughout the day Thursday, local officials dealt with flooded roads around Brown County as the snowpack quickly melted as temperatures reached the mid-50s and rain fell in the afternoon.
Frozen ground and storm drains on many streets that are still covered by snow and ice contributed to the flooding, said Green Bay Director of Public Works Steven M. Grenier.
Only a handful of city streets were flooded Thursday, but "in the areas we are seeing it, it is pretty bad,” he said.
Anyone who wants to clear street drains to help prevent flooding can use Google Maps' street view to locate the drains, Grenier said.
He said drivers should avoid areas known to be affected by flooding and be cautious if they must go through the water.
Law enforcement also reminded people to stay off of lakes and rivers after two men fishing on the Fox River were rescued.
The Ashwaubenon Public Safety Department and De Pere Fire/Rescue were called at 6:09 p.m. Thursday when a Bay Harbor Circle resident saw two men on the ice trying to make their way to shore. The men kept breaking through the ice, said Eric Dunning, director of the Ashwaubenon Public Safety Department.
Rescue personnel in ice rescue suits and a raft brought the men to shore.
"This should be a reminder to the public that there is no reason for anyone to be on a body of water with the recent warm temperatures and rain," Dunning said in the news release.
Flooding closes some roads
Road closures due to significant flooding included:
- Mason Street between Baird Street and Bellevue Street.
- Allouez Avenue from East River Drive to Bellevue Street.
- South Huron Road between Eaton Road and East Mason (in Green Bay)
- Bower Creek Road between Wayside Road and Paris
- Eaton Road between Ontario Road and South Huron Street
- County GV between State 172 and County G, and between State 172 and Hoffman Road
- State 172 off-ramp to GV
- Lime Kiln Road from County GV to Windy Acres Way
- Hoffman Road from East River Drive to County GV
- Southbridge Road from American Boulevard to Lawrence Drive.
- Norfield Road/Veterans.
Town of Humboldt:
- North Michiels Road around the area of Luxemburg Road
- Ledgeview Road from Creamery Road to Winding Waters Way
- Kaften Road from County GV.
- Creamery Road from Ledgeview Road to Dickenson Road.
- Both ends of Winding Waters Way.
- Creekview at Big Apple Road
- Sunnyview Road between Dickinson and Morrison roads
- Morrision Road between County X and County OO
Town of Morrison:
- County W between Morrison Road and Park Road
- County G from County W to Queens Road
- State 29 eastbound ramp to State 32 exit 249.
Town of Rockland:
- Wrightstown Road between River Oaks and South 32/57 (Greenleaf Road)
- Wrightstown Road between River Oaks and South 32/57
- Partridge Road between Tetzlaff Road and South 32/57
- Mallard Road between County ZZ and South 32/57