2016 UW-Extension Pest Management Update Meeting Series
Mark your calendars for the upcoming University of Wisconsin-Extension Pest Management Update meetings scheduled Nov. 7-11 at various locations around the state.
The format has changed for 2016. Meetings will either be in the morning or afternoon and will run for three hours. Morning meetings will begin promptly at 9 a.m. and run to 12 p.m. with lunch to follow. Afternoon meetings will begin at 1 p.m. and conclude at 4 p.m. with lunch served from 12 p.m.-1 p.m.
The new format includes presentations by Bryan Jensen, UW-Extension/UW-Madison Entomology; Dan Heider, UW Integrated Pest and Crop Management Program; Damon Smith UW-Extension field crops pathology specialist at UW-Madison Plant Pathology; and Mark Renz, UW-Extension weed scientist at UW-Madison.
The focus of the first two hours has been changed to provide more emphasis on research updates and important highlights from the 2016 field season. The second session will be an interactive diagnostic troubleshooting exercise based on issues observed in the 2016 field season.
The diagnostic and focused-topic trainings have been a big hit over the past two years, so don’t miss 2016.
In addition to a new format, a packet of information will be supplied to all registered participants. The packet includes handouts and a copy of the 2017 Pest Management in Wisconsin Field crops (A3646) guide. They also will include in the packet one copy each of “A Farmer’s Guide to Soybean Diseases” and “A Farmer’s Guide to Corn Diseases”. This two volume set is a $60 value.
Those interested should register with the host agent at least one week prior to the meeting at the location wishing to attend. Each meeting in the series is a separate county-based event and host agents cannot interchange registrant fees or meal counts.
Dates, meeting locations, and registration contact information are:
- Monday, Nov. 7, 1 p.m.-4 p.m.: Marshfield, Marshfield Agricultural Research Station, 2611 Yellowstone Drive. Contact: Richard Halopka, UW-Extension Clark County, Courthouse Rm. 104, 517 Court Street, Neillsville, WI 54456; 715-743-5121.
- Tuesday, Nov. 8, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.: Chippewa Falls, Lake Hallie Eagles Club, 2588 Hallie Road. Contact: Jerry Clark, UW-Extension Chippewa County, 711 N. Bridge Street Chippewa Falls, WI 54729; 715-726-7950.
- Wednesday, Nov. 9, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.: Belmont, Belmont Inn & Suites (formerly Baymont Inn) 103 West Mound View Avenue. Contact: Ted Bay, UW-Extension Grant County, P.O. Box 31, Lancaster, WI 53813; 608-723-2125.
- Wednesday, Nov. 9, 1 p.m.-4 p.m.: Janesville, Holiday Inn Express Janesville, 3100 Wellington Place (I-90 and US Highway 14, West on 14). Contact: Nick Baker, UW-Extension Rock County, 51 S. Main Street, Janesville, WI 53545; 608-757-5698
- Thursday, Nov. 10, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.: Fond du Lac, University of Wisconsin-Fond du Lac, Rm 113 University Center, 400 University Drive. Contact: Loretta Ortiz-Ribbing, UW-Extension Fond du Lac County, 227 Admin/Extension Bldg. 400 University Dr., Fond du Lac, WI 54935; 920-929-3171
- Thursday, Nov. 10, 1 p.m.-4 p.m.: Kimberly, Liberty Hall, 800 Eisenhower Drive (Hwy. 441, College Avenue Exit, East 1 block). Contact: Kevin Jarek, UW-Extension Outagamie County, 3365 W. Brewster St. Appleton, WI 54914; 920-832-5128
- Friday, Nov. 11, 9 a.m.-12 p.m.: Sparta, Jake’s Northwoods 1132 Angelo Road. Contact: Bill Halfman, UW-Extension Monroe County, 14345 County Hwy B Sparta, WI 54656; 608-269-8722.
Three hours of CCA CEU pest management credits are requested and available at each location.
Registration fees at each location may vary, but will be around $50 which includes access to the packets, refreshments, 3 hours of CEU credit, and great information.