Grandma's Kitchen: Oct. 28, 2016
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup minced radishes
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp salt
1. Cut bread into small pieces. Also, thin a few radishes for garnish.
2. In a medium bowl with a spoon, mix the mayonnaise, minced radishes, sour cream and salt.
3. Spread mixture on rye bread. Garnish tops with radish slices.
Linda's Note: why not do as Spinach Dip? Mince the radishes well, and put in a bowl with other ingredients, with rye bread cubes around it to dip in. Sounds good to me. Also, refrigerate any leftovers, covered.
ERNEST’S SPECIAL SUPPER
2 pkgs hot dogs
Cheese single slices (I use American cheese)
2 cans chili with beans
1. In a casserole, slice one-third of the hot dogs; then add cheese slices to cover them. Then add one-third of the chili and beans. Do this three times.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
Linda’s Note: I do this in my Crock Pot, my 3½ qt one. It is tasty, and I serve with homemade corn bread (I put mine right on the bread). A green salad is also good. If you want more liquid in your dish, so you can serve it on the corn bread and add ketchup or a little tomato juice.
1 can peas
1 can Spam, cubed
2 tbsp butter
1 bag rice, cooked
1. Mix all ingredients, and cook until hot; serve.
Linda’s Note: This can be done in a Crock Pot or in the oven. I add the juice from the peas when I do it in the oven, and cover it when it is heating. Nice with shredded Cheddar Cheese over it. I use the bag of rice that makes 4 cups but usually just make 3 cups of rice, as that is two meals at our house.
EASY CHEESE BREAD
1 loaf unsliced French bread
1 pint mayonnaise
1 purple onion, chopped finely
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb Longhorn Cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Slice the bread in half lengthwise
2. Combine all the rest of the ingredients, and spread generously on each of the bread haves. Place on baking sheet.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or till cheese mixture is bubbly.
4. Slice crosswise into 1½ inch portions to serve.Best when served warm.
2 cups diced peeled potatoes
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup sliced carrot
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 2% milk
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups (8 ounces) sharp shredded cheddar cheese
1½ cups cooked ham, cubed
1 cup corn
1. In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, chicken broth, carrot and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
2. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
3. Stir the mixture into the potatoes and chicken broth. Stir in cheese until melted. Add ham and corn. Heat though. Serve.
EASY DROP DANISH
2 cups Bisquick or Jiffy-brand Biscuit Mix
1/4 cup butter, softened (1/2 stick)
2 tbsp sugar
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup raspberry (or any flavor) preserves
Glaze recipe below
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Mix Bisquick, butter and sugar until crumbly. Stir in milk until dough forms. Beat 15 strokes.
3. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet.
4. Make a shallow well in the center of each with the back of a spoon. Fill each with 1 tbsp preserves.
5. Bake till golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. While warm, drizzle with glaze.
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp warm water
1/4 tsp vanilla
1. Beat till smooth, and drizzle on buns.
Linda’s Note: I have used apple butter in this recipe, and we like it.
PEANUT BUTTER PIE
1 container Cool Whip
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
Graham cracker or sugar cookie crust
1. Bend first four ingredients with electric mixer; pour into the pie shell.
2. Put in refrigerator, and chill well.
Linda’s Note: we get the Keebler Crust and use the upside-down top of package for covering the pie while chilling. I also use name-brand peanut butter.
Serves 6 to 7
ORANGE/CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
1¾ cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2½ tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup liquid (1 orange, squeezed, & milk enough to make 3/4 cup)
2 tsp grated orange rind
1. Mix dry ingredients together.
2. Then add oil, egg and milk mixture. Stir just till moistened.
3. Add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
4. Put in greased muffin cups; bake at 350 degrees for about 18 minutes or till done.
5. Should make about 12 regular muffins.