Grandma's Kitchen: April 8, 2016
IMPOSSIBLE CHEESEBURGER PIE
1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
11/2 cups chopped onion
1 tsp seasoned salt (I use Lawrys)
12 oz frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup Bisquick Jiffy Biscuit Mix
2 cups milk
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In 10-inch skillet, cook beef, onion and salt over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is brown; drain. Spread in dish.
3. Top evenly with frozen mixed vegetables.
4. In medium bowl, stir Bisquick, milk and eggs with wire whisk until blended. Pour into baking dish.
5. Bake 30 minutes.
6. Sprinkle evenly with cheese; bake 10 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into squares.
3/4 lb (12 oz) raw egg noodles
1 to 11/2 lb lean ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 can tomato soup
16 oz can cream style corn
6 oz shredded Cheddar cheese
16 oz can stewed tomatoes, with celery, onion and green pepper
1. Cook noodles as directed on package.
2. Saute meat and onion. Add salt and peper to taste.
3. Combine meat, soup, tomatoes and corn. Gently mix in noodles.
4. Place in baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Bake for one hour at 350 degrees.
Linda's note: You can add a touch of Oregano, if you like a spicier meal. Also, I cook my noodles till just tender, so they can cook some in the casserole as well. Add water if needed.
Should feed 4, especially if you use 11/2 lbs of meat
1 can sliced peaches
1 can pears
1 can pineapple chunks
1 cup brown sugar
1 jar maraschino cherries
2 to 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 to 1 stick butter
1. Drain fruits and mix in baking dish. (I cut the cherries in half, and cut the pears to chunks — Linda)
2. Mix dry sugar and spice, and sprinkle it over the fruit. Dot with butter.
3. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or till bubbly.
4. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream on top.
Serves 6 or more
*Our Laura made this for Easter, and it was so good!
1 carton cherry tomatoes, washed and cut in half
1 avocado, peeled and cut up
1 can sliced black olives, drained
Fresh basil cut, to taste
Extra virgin olive oil (the lighter the better)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a bowl, mix tomatoes, cheese, avocado, olives and basil.
2. Mix oil with salt and pepper, and pour over all. Mix lightly, and serve.
Laura says: Laura got the fresh, soft, kind of mozzarella and broke it into pieces. I would like mine cold and firmer, so I will use a square of cheese and cut it up. This can be covered and refrigerated, if you have any leftovers (we did not). You can use larger tomatoes and cut in chunks, which she likes best, but she buys almost all naturally-grown things, so sometimes has to settle. I would like drained black beans in here, and some white shoepeg corn, drained. Also, you can't get too many tomatoes to my liking! I also think I can skip the basil and other stuff and use Italian Dressing on this dish, and it would be good. Have fun trying other things too.
RHUBARB CREAM PIE
11/2 cups sugar
3 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 beaten eggs
3 cups cut rhubarb
1 tbsp butter (softened)
1. Blend sugar and nutmeg; add flour and butter. Add eggs, and beat till smooth.
2. Put the rhubarb in a prepared 9-inch pie crust. Pour the egg mixture over rhubarb.
3. Top with lattice crust, or regular crust, with lots of slits to vent.
4. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes and then at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.
WEST VIRGINIA BLACKBERRY JAM CAKE
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1-3/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup blackberry jam
3 tbsp sour milk (reg milk mixed with a tad of vinegar, or soda)
1/2 cup raisins
1. Cream shortening; add brown sugar gradually and beat till light and fluffy.
2. Add beaten egg yolks.
3. Sift flour, soda and spices together, and add this mixture alternately with jam and sour milk to creamed mixture. Add raisins, mixed with a tad of flour so they will not sink to the bottom of the cake.
4. Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
5. Bake in two layers (greased and floured ) at 375 degrees till done.
6. Cool, and fill and frost layers.
Filling and Frosting:
Mix 11/2 cups powdered sugar, 3 tbsp cream and 6 tbsp soft butter. Add 1 tsp just before the final mixing and using on the cake.