Grandma's Kitchen: Feb. 5, 2016
41 years ago, the United Methodist Church in Jackson, MN, published a nice cookbook. I received it for Christmas from my mother-in-law. I have used it a lot over the years and want to share some of the timeless recipes here.
CHERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 can cherry pie filling
1 tsp almond flavoring (optional)
1. Mix ingredients by hand for several minutes.
2. For cake, put in greased and floured 9x13-inch cake pan. For bars, use a jelly roll pan (this is what I do).
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes for the cake (shorter time for the bars) until cake springs back when touched. This cake will stay moist (covered) for days.
3 cans green beans, drained
1 small onion, chopped
4 or 5 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1. Mix onion, bacon and soup. Add the beans. Put in casserole.
2. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned.
Linda's Note: If you'd like, I think some French Fried onion rights would be nice sprinkles on the top of casserole before baking.
BAR-B-QUE BEEF SANDWICHES
5 lb beef roast (cheapest cut)
26 oz bottle ketchup
1 quart ginger ale
Salt to taste
1. Pour ketchup and gingerale over raw roast and cook at 300 to 325 degrees, covered, for 8 hours. Stir occasionally. As this cooks, it will thicken. Salt the dish to taste.
2. Serve in hamburger buns.
Makes 15 or more buns
Linda's Note: I think this could be done fine in Crock Pot on LOW.
PORK CHOP DISH
4 pork chops
1 can mushroom soop
1. Brown 4 or more pork chops on both sides.
2. Add 1 can mushroom soup, and simmer, slowly, till chops are tender. The soup will make a good brown gravy.
Linda's Note: It takes about one can of soup to four pork chops, depending on size of the chops. Simmer covered at least part of the time, or you will need to add water.
MACARONI SHRIMP SALAD
1 package macaroni, cooked and drained
3 hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup diced cheese
1/4 to 1/2 cup diced dill pickles
1 can little shrimp
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
2. Add to mayonnaise to moisten.
3. Store, covered, in refrigerator till ready to serve.
Serves 4 to 6
QUICK PICKLED BEETS
20 oz can sliced beets
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cloves
1. Drain juice from beets, and put juice in saucepan. Add vinegar, salt, cinnamon, cloves and pepper.
2. Bring to a boil; pour over beets, and let set in refrigerator to chill and season overnight.
Linda's Note: A quart canning jar is a good one to use, as it will not break when using boiling liquids. Let cool before covering and refrigerating. Should keep about a week in refrigerator. Some like to add a little sugar to this recipe as it cuts down on the acidity of the vinegar.
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
11/2 cups boiling water
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 tsp lemon rind
1 tbsp butter
9-inch baked pie shell
1. Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt and add boiling water.
2. Add beaten egg yolks, lemon juice and rind.
3. Cook in double boiler, stirring with whisk, until thick. Add butter and mix.
4. When cool, put in pie shell. Now you can get this to room temperature, and refrigerate.
Linda's Note: You can serve with Cool Whip or ice cream, or you can make a meringue from the egg whites.
1/3 cup canned peaches, drained
1/3 cup canned apricots, drained
1/3 cup canned pineapple, drained
1/4 cup maraschino cherries, drained
1 cup sugar
1. Cut first three ingredients into chunks and the cherries into wedges (or in half).
2. Mix and put in a pretty jar with lid. Many buy an apothecary jar for this.
1. Stir well each week. Every 14 days, add 1 cup sugar and 1 cup canned fruit of your choice to the mixture. Or, add 1/3 cup of 3 different fruits. Use canned fruits. Do not add juice, and do not use fresh fruit. DO NOT REFRIGERATE; just let it sit on your countertop.
Linda's Note: This is good as a topping on ice cream, fresh gingerbread, etc. Put some on baked ham slices for 15 minutes, or more, before done. The ideas are endless. Share at any stage with friends, and include the recipe. It is fun to buy the jars and make three of these at a time as you have about that much fruit at the start. It makes a nice holiday, birthday or hostess gift. Include the recipe.