Grandma's Kitchen: Sept. 16, 2016
EGGS AND ASPARAGUS AU GRATIN
1½ cups milk
3 tbsp flour
3 tbsp butter
1 cup grated American cheese
No 2 can asparagus
6 hard cooked eggs, peeled and sliced
1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1. Make a white sauce of butter, flour and milk Cook, stirring with whisk till it is well cooked; add the cheese only till melted.
2. Drain the asparagus. Arrange layers of hard-cooked eggs and asparagus chunks in a buttered baking dish. Add a layer of crumbs and alternate layers of eggs, asparagus and crumbs till dish is full
3. Pour cheese sauce over it, and cover with extra crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Linda’s Note: you can coarsely chop the eggs, but I like to cut them the round way; they are just cuter that way!
GRANDMA’S GREEN BEANS
1 can green beans
1, Put 1 pint green beans (1 can) with juice, and about a dozen very small onions in a saucepan.
2. Slowly cook away, stirring once in awhile till all the water is gone. Put in 1 tbsp bacon grease, and serve hot.
GLADY’S SLOPPY JOE
1½ lbs hamburger
1 tbsp dried onion
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp prepared mustard
2 tbsp vinegar
1 cup catsup
1/4 cup water
1. Brown hamburger and onion. Add other ingredients, and let simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
2. Serve on hamburger buns.
CRANBERRY SPARKLE PUNCH
1 gallon cranberry juice cocktail
2 quarts orange juice, frozen or canned
6 quarts ginger ale or 7 Up
Mix cold cranberry juice and orange juice, and ginger ale.
Makes about 90 4-oz. servings of punch.
2 pkg refrigerated Pillsbury crescent rolls
Two 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1 pkg (dry mix) Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
1 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
3/4 cup chopped broccoli
3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup cauliflower
3/4 cup grated carrots
3/4 to 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Cover the bottom of of a jelly roll pan with the crescent rolls, roll out and pinched together at seams. Do no do the sides of the pan.
2. Bake in a 350-degree oven until lightly browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Let cool 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Beat cream cheese, mayonnaise and dry dressing, and mix till smooth. Spread over the crust.
4. Mix the vegetables in a bowl, and sprinkle evenly over the top. Sprinkle on the cheese, and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours before cutting and serving.
Linda's Note: if the bars will be waiting longer, wait till the last hour before you add the cheese to the bars.
1 can creamed corn
1 cup grated cheese (or 1 cup cheese sauce)
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup uncooked macaroni
1. Cook and drain macaroni.
2, Add the rest of the ingredients, and bake in 350-degree oven for 30 minutes.
1 can pineapple pie mix
2 cups softened vanilla ice cream
1/2 bag of miniature marshmallows
About an hour before serving, add:
1 sliced banana
Linda’s Note: Can add cut maraschino cherries if desired. Also, add another banana if desired. Try other pie mixes with this; cherry is good and so is strawberry or peach.