Juneau — A two-hour webinar entitled “How Big is Your House?” will be held Thursday, Nov. 17, at 1 p.m., in the Dodge County University of Wisconsin-Extension office, 127 E. Oak St., Juneau.
This webinar is the fourth in a series of webinars from UW-Extension that will focus on a variety of farm succession topics.
Farm business owners looking to the future of their farming operations have many issues to consider. Succession planning includes: planning for the owner generation’s later years; business planning to ensure the operation has financial capacity; developing the successor’s management skills; and estate and tax planning.
However, before these areas can be addressed many conversations should take place around the values, vision and goals of the family members/farming partners as well as the goals of the business.
This webinar is for both the owner and successor generations to learn how to analyze the farm’s financial capacity as the business transitions from one generation to the next. Kevin Bernhardt, UW-Platteville and UW-Extension farm management specialist, will lead the webinar. Topics include:
- Is the farm “big enough” to bring another partner or partners into the business?
- What are your farm’s financial strengths?
- Ideas on addressing your farm’s financial weaknesses to better plan for succession.
Registration is required; please contact the Dodge County UW-Extension Office at 920-386-3790 to register. There is a fee to cover the cost of materials.
The farm succession webinar series continues through the winter into 2017. Future dates and topics are:
- Jan. 26, 2017 - Estate planning – Bridget Finke, attorney, Valley Crossing Law (1 to 3 p.m.)
- Feb. 23, 2017 – Long Term Care: Planning for My Future Needs – Steve Shapiro, Medigap insurance specialist, State of Wisconsin Board on Aging and Long Term Care and the Wisconsin Office of the commissioner of insurance (1 to 3 p.m.)
- March 23, 2017 – Medicaid Eligibility and Recovery – Anthony Schmoldt, attorney, Schmoldt Law Office (1 to 3 p.m.)