2 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

Pigeon Falls, WI - Discovery Farms will host a free lunch and field day on Awesome Acres from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Aug. 23, W7545 Hwy.12, Fort Atkinson, WI.

The farm, owned by Bill and Rhonda Rohloff, is a current participant in the Discovery Farms Nitrogen Use Efficiency Project. The UW Discovery Farms® Program is your Wisconsin-based resource for unbiased research and water quality information. Research happens on farms around the state, including 9 farms in the southeast.

The field day will bring together farmers, nitrogen and cover crop experts, and community members for an afternoon of education and discussion:

  • UW Discovery Farms has completed its second year of Pre-Plant and Pre-Sidedress Nitrate Tests on 109 farm fields in Wisconsin. Hear about this year’s results and what you might consider for your nitrogen program.
  • The Wisconsin Action Volunteers program has developed guidance that can be used by private citizens to monitor the health of streams and rivers running through their land. Learn about what resources they have available and see a macroinvertebrate demonstration.
  • Cover crops conversations are everywhere these days but making them work can be tricky. Now is your chance to connect with Matt Ruark, a cover crop expert, and other farmers and advisors about cover crop uses, establishment, and ideas for southeastern Wisconsin. Check out Bill Rohloff’s cover crop fields. Hear how he makes cover crops, winter wheat, corn and soybeans work together.

The Rohloffs have a 1,200-acre grain farm near Fort Atkinson where they grow corn and soybeans on 80 percent of their acres and winter wheat on the remaining 20 percent. They started no-tilling alfalfa in the 1980s and no-till is now the dominant practice on their farm.

The field day is free of charge and includes a noon meal. Please RSVP by August 18. To RSVP contact Savannah Williams at 715-983-5668 or will4653@umn.edu.

Read or Share this story: http://www.wisfarmer.com/story/news/2016/08/13/awesome-acres-hosts-discovery-farms-southeast-field-day/88689880/