7 carrots, peeled and shredded
1/3 to 1/2 cup golden raisins, plumped in hot water, then drained
1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple
1/4 cup real Mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1. Mix shredded carrots, plumped and drained raisins and pineapple in a bowl.
2. Mix the dressing ingredients well; then pour over the carrot mixture and toss. Refrigerate till ready to serve.
Serves 4 to 6
Linda's Note: if you don't have fresh pineapple, drained pineapple tidbits could be used. Be sure and save that pineapple juice you drained for your juice for breakfast or an afternoon treat!
1 lb carrots, cut up (plus the water to cook them, about 4-1/2 cups)
1 pkg Sure Jell Fruit Pectin
1 pkg orange Kool Aide
5 cups sugar
1. Boil carrots till soft. Remove the carrots from the pan, and measure 3-1/2 cups of the juice back into the pan to make the jelly. Add regular water if needed to make this amount.
2. Boil the juice for 1 minute. Put the carrots aside, they will be used for another thing.
3. Add remaining ingredients to the pan. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring as needed.
4. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. Put on hot rims and lids that have been in hot water.
5. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling water bath.
Should make 4 or 5 half pint jars
Linda's Note: Use the cooked carrots, buttered, for dinner, or mash and use them in cookies.
TO MAKE TOMATO POWDER FROM TOMATO SKINS
(Needs a food dehydrator)
1. Gather your tomato skins. Place on dehydrator sheets.
2. Dehydrate at 135 degrees for 8-12 hours until brittle and no longer wet.
3. For powder: Put dried tomato skins in coffee grinder and grind until powder. Store in jar.
4. For flakes: Put dried tomato skins in food processor, and pulse a few times until flakes. Store in jar.
To use dried products:
Put in stews and soups; also chili
Rehydrate with water, drain and use in pasta salads
Use in meatloaf
Put in spaghetti or other tomato sauces
Use any way you would use tomatoes
Linda's Note: This recipe came from Lloydine Sloan, but she said she got it from 'Farmgirl' on Pinterest a while back.
ONE DISH MEAL
1 lb hamburger
1 cup carrots, diced and cooked in water for 10 minutes
1 cup diced celery
1 pint tomato juice
1 can tomato soup
1 small onion, diced
1 cup diced raw potato
1 cup macaroni, cooked and drained
1. Cook the beef, and add carrots, celery, onion, tomato juice, tomato soup and potatoes. Mix.
2. Then add the macaroni, and stir slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Bake in roaster or casserole at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Linda's Note: Do the macaroni just till chewy so it can complete cooking in the roaster. Add more tomato juice if necessary.
EASY DEEP DISH PIZZA
1 pkg refrigerated crescent rolls
1 lb hamburger, browned and drained
14 oz jar spaghetti sauce
1 to 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1. Separate rolls into a 9-inch pie place. Press the rolls together on bottom and sides to form a crust.
2. Combine the hamburger and spaghetti sauce. Pour onto crust. Top with cheese.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. May add onion, mushrooms, green pepper, black olives, pepperoni, etc.
Linda's Note: In order to be sure this does not go all over the oven when cooking, use a 10-inch pie pan or a round cake pan.
*Nice served hot with baked ham but also great with chicken or other meats.
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup wet mustard
1/3 cup tomato soup
1/3 cup butter
3 tbsp vinegar
Mix and heat, stirring in a saucepan.
SCALLOPED CORN AND CHICKEN CASSEROLE
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp chopped onion
3 cups soft white bread cubes
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp milk
1 can corn, drained
3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth
1. Cook onion in 3 tbsp butter. Mix in bread cubes, salt, milk, corn and chicken. Put in greased 2 qt. casserole.
2. For the sauce: Cook the butter, broth and flour, stirring till smooth and boiling. Pour over casserole.
3. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
Serves 5 or 6
Linda's Note: I am not sure the corn is to be drained, but do so and see how it goes with incorporating things as they bake; if need be, add a little water. Also, if you don't want to make the sauce, use 1 can cream of chicken soup and 3/4 can water instead.