PHYLLIS' ORANGE SALAD
*Several have called or emailed for a repeat of my friend's easy salad, so here it is.
2 or 3 oranges, peeled, deseeded, sectioned and cut up
1 or 2 sliced bananas, depending on size
1/4 to 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
1. Place first three ingredients in a bowl. Spring powdered sugar on it.
2. Let stand until orange juice and sugar melt together.
Linda's Note: One can also add a handful of nuts; Phyllis usually used pecans. Serve this fresh, so only make what you can use for a meal. This recipe may be doubled to make more for a larger family. Phyl has written she has added other fruits to this recipe; I can remember grapes.
EASY CHOCOLATE DROP COOKIES
(Has no shortening)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
2 egg whites
1/2 cup cocoa (Hershey's)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
Dash of salt
1. Combine all ingredients in order given. Beat at medium speed for 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Drop onto greased or sprayed cookie sheet.
3. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes.
SOUR CREAM SUBSTITUTE
2 tbsp skim milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
1. Blend in blender on medium speed till smooth and creamy.
Makes 11/4 cups.
Linda's Note: I add chives, dried onion bits and about 3 tbsp water. Let it stand in the refrigerator, covered, till ready to use. Good on baking potatoes.
EASY SUMMER HOT DISH
8 oz pkg macaroni
Two 15 oz cans chili
Shredded cheddar cheese
1. Cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain.
2. Mix in chili, and put in baking dish. Top with cheese.
3. Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Linda's Note: I used chili without beans and added a can of chili beans and juice to this with fine results. Beans, drained, would be fine also.
TUNA PASTA SALAD
1 tomato, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
4 oz Colby cheese, cubed
1 small can chopped, or sliced, black olives, drained
2 cans tuna, drained
16 oz rotini pasta, cooked according to pkg directions, drained
1 cup (or more), Italian salad dressing
1. Drain and cool the rotini.
2. Dice vegetables, and cube cheese. Drain olives and tuna.
3. Combine with cooked rotini. Toss with Italian dressing. Serve.
JOHANNAH'S MEAT LOAF
1-1/2 lbs hamburger
2 tbsp chopped onions
1/4 lb saltine crackers, crushed
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp salt
Pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp sage (optinal)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1. Mix all ingredients, except ketchup and brown sugar, and put in a 9x13 cake pan.
2. Mix ketchup and brown sugar, and use as topping.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour, or till done.
4. Cut in squares to serve.
Serves 5 or 6
Linda's Note: I like a saucier meat loaf. I skip the sage, use twice the ketchup and often omit the brown sugar as I have diabetes.