3 tbsp butter
4 to 5 cups shredded cabbage
1 large onion, thinly sliced
4 cans chicken broth, or instant chicken bouillon and water to equal 4 cans broth
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup long grain white rice
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1. Melt butter. Add cabbage and onion. Cover and cook till cabbage is golden and almost tender; about 10 minutes.
2. Add broth, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add rice and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Serve sprinkled with cheese.
2 tbsp quick cooking tapioca
11/2 cups water
1 tbsp sugar
Dash of salt
1/2 cup frozen concentrated orange juice
21/2 cups diced fresh fruits (pear, peach, cherries (cut up), etc.
1. Place tapioca and water in saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remover from heat.
2. Add sugar, salt and orange juice. Blend well. Cool mixture to room temperature, stirring once after 15 or 20 minutes. Cover and chill.
3. Before serving, add fruits. If a thinner soup is desired, add more juice or less fruit.
Linda's Note: I have diced dried fruits on hand, and I add water, soak them and cook them. They work fine in this recipe, too.
EASY BAKED BEANS
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup catsup
2 tbsp brown sugar
21/2 tsp dry mustard
1 cup minced onions
Three 21 oz cans pork and beans
1. Mix together in casserole.
2. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees, covered.
Linda's Note: I use my small roasting pan, the blue one with the white flecks on it, that we all have. If desired, add some fried bacon to this recipe.
TATER TOT HOT DISH
1 lb hamburer
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1. Line bottom of casserole with tater tots. ( I use a 9x13-inch pan).
2. Brown hamburger with chopped onion.
3. Mix 1cream of mushroom sooup and cream of chicken soup together. Mix with the hamburger, and pour over the tater tots.
4. Arrange another layer of tater tots on top.
5. Bake uncovered 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Linda's Note: If I have leftover whole kernel corn, I add it to the soups when mixing and add a bit of the corn juice also.
BROCCOLI CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
10 oz pkg frozen broccoli pieces
Two 10 oz pkg frozen cauliflower
1 can cream of celery soup
8 oz jar Cheez Whiz
1 can French fried onion rings
1. Cook broccoli and cauliflower according to package directions. Drain well.
2. Place vegetables in buttered 2-qt casserole.
3. Combine soup and Cheez Whiz. Pour over vegetables.
4. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
5. Top with onion rings the last 5 minutes of baking time.
Serves 8 to 10
2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
11/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1. Mix in order given.
2. Bake in greased 10x15-inch pan at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
3. Cut while warm, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.