If you have recipes you would like to share, recipes you'd lke to find or any questions regarding published recipes, send your inquiries to
920 Powell St. N., Big Lake, MN 55309
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/ 3 cup shortening
3/4 cup water
Mix together first 3 ingredients in mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork.
Stir in water and work into smooth ball
Cut into equal portioned balls or roll out on clean floured surface and cut into circles using a round hollow tool such as the rim of a cup.
Bake on ungreased pan in preheated 400 ºoven for 10-15 minutes or until shade of brown you prefer.
RAMEN NOODLE DOINGS
*These recipes use the Ramen noodles, not the flavor packet. Keep them in a jar and save for the recipe below or in other recipes. They help flavor soups, etc., too.
Ramen noodles are one thing I always have in my house because of all the things you can do with them. They're the perfect size for lunch, so when my husband is at work, I make myself some ramen noodles and dress it up.
1. Cook noodles to packet directions and drain. In pan melt, 1/2 tbsp butter and add 2 tbsp water. Sprinkle in about a tablespoon of cheese mix from mac-n-cheese box. Stir until bubbly and return noodles to pan. Stir to cover noodles with cheese sauce.
Linda's Note: I bought a big, big can of cheese powder from Augauson Farms (from the Walmart online ad). I packaged the powder in 1-cup portions and froze all but the one I currently use. I use this as my own ma-n-cheese, on popcorn, in soups, etc. I highly recommend it.
2. Cook noodles to packet directions, drain and return to pan. Add a couple spoonfuls of Alfredo sauce, stir and add more as needed.
3. Cook noodles to packet directions and drain. In pan, melt 1/2 tbsp butter and stir in a small bit each of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning. Return noodles to pan, and stir to cover noodles with sauce.
4. Chop onions, garlic, green pepper, celery, carrots and broccoli (any or all in combination, cut into very small pieces). Cook noodles to package directions, and drain. Pour about a teaspoon of oil in pan, and saute vegetables until tender. Add a spoonful or two of sweet-and-sour sauce, and stir to cover noodles. Add more sauce as needed.
5. Cook noodles according to package directions. Add 2 or more tbsp. pasta sauce, and stir. Add more sauce if needed.
Linda's note: This is a nice way to use up that tiny bit of pasta sauce you hate to throw away.
RAMEN PACKET GRAVY
Here is where you can use up the flavor packets that come in the Ramen noodles.
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
2 cups water
1 ramen noodle flavor packet (or bouillon cube)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Melt butter and flour together to form a paste. Whisk in water, and add seasoning packet.
2. Whisk and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper if needed. Heat until thick.
BURGER BEEF SOUP
3 tbsp butter
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 cup minced onion
3 cups shredded carrot
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1 cup water
2 cans condensed cream of celery soup
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp sugar
1. Melt butter; add meat and brown. Cook slowly.
2. Add remaining ingredients. Cook slowly again, stirring. Be sure those carrots get done.
3. Cook for 15 minutes or until smooth, except for the hamburger.
Linda's Note: If you are not fussy about smooth texture soup, add a drained can of sliced carrots and one of sliced Irish potatoes, drained. Wonderful! If adding the potatoes, you may need to add a little more water or potato liquid from the can.
QUICK PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup water
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix in large bowl one-half the package of the cake mix, peanut butter, eggs and water.
2. Beat till smooth and well blended. Beat in remaining cake mix. Mix thoroughly (it may be necessary to use your hands).
3. Drop dough by tsp about 3 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With fork dipped in flour, make crisscrosses on top of dough.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool cookies on cookie sheet 2 minutes after baking before removing to cooling rack.
Makes 4-5 dozen
SCALLOPED PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE
3/4 cup butter, softened
11/4 cups sugar
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
11/2 tsp lemon juice
4 cups firmly packed cubed white bread (crusts removed)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
2. Stir in pineapple and lemon juice. Gently fold in bread cubes.
3. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
4. Bake, uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes or until top is lightly golden. Serve warm.
Makes 6 servings