PEACH BREAD PUDDING
2 cups milk
1/3 cup sugar
Dash of salt
1/2 tbsp melted butter
3 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
16 oz can sliced peaches, drained
3 slices soft, white bread, cubed
1. Place milk, sugar, salt, butter, eggs and vanilla in a bowl, and beat till smooth.
2. Place cubed bread in an 8-inch square pan. Add drained peaches. Pour egg mixture over all.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until firm.
Linda's Note: I like cinnamon with peaches, so I sprinkle on some right over the peaches (a cinnamon/sugar mix would work well here, too, to distribute the cinnamon more evenly), and then add egg mixture. I also prefer a glass pan when I make a bread pudding — fussy, aren't I???
QUICK WILD RICE POTATO SOUP
1 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 can cream of potato soup
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 cup cooked wild rice
1. Bring water and onion to a boil.
2. Add soup, milk and wild rice. Cook until heated through.
3. Garnish each bowl of soup with the cheese and eat.
I figured as long as we are using rice of some sort in dishes, we should try this one. The protein in this dish comes from the eggs and the cheese.
2 cups finely shredded carrots
2 eggs, beaten
16 1/2 oz can cream style corn
1 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups cooked rice
11/2 cup diced American cheese
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp dried minced onion
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a 2-quart casserole.
2. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes, or until set.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
2 to 4 cups diced, cooked, chicken or turkey
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (or 1 can cream of mushroom and one of cream of chicken)
1 can mushroom stems and pieces, drained (optional)
1 small onion, diced
2 cups uncooked macaroni
2 cups grated or cubed cheddar cheese
2 cups milk
1. Mix all together but cheese.
2. Place in greased metal 9x13-inch pan, and put cheese on top.
3. Cover and put in refrigerator overnight.
4. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour, until cheese is nice and brown.
Linda's Note: I think the macaroni will be better done if you take it from the oven and sit it on the stovetop, covered with foil, for a few minutes before serving.
Soak together for 1 hour:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk (vinegar added to reg. Milk makes sour milk)
In bowl mix thoroughly:
1/3 cup soft butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
In another bowl sift together:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1. Stir dry ingredients into shortening mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture.
2. Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until done.
Makes 12 medium muffins