From finances to feeding to fitting, there are seven educational seminars scheduled at World Beef Expo on Friday, Sept. 27 and Saturday, Sept. 28.
The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) encourages beef farmers to make plans to attend one or multiple seminars held at Wisconsin State Fair Park in West Allis during World Beef Expo.
"The 2013 seminar topics were selected based on responses to a World Beef Expo online survey of what people wanted to learn more about and would most benefit their operation," said Jeff Swenson, DATCP's livestock and meat specialist and World Beef Expo Educational Seminar Chair. "These seminars are a great opportunity to hear from a variety of speakers who have years of diverse industry experience."
The schedule for the seminars on Friday, Sept. 27 includes:
• 10 a.m. - Paul Dietmann of Badgerland Financial will talk about successful farm financial management including cash flow planning and enterprise budgets.
• 11 a.m. - Greg Beavers of Select Sires will give an overview of Estimated Progeny Differences (EPDs) and how they can be used in your breeding decisions to make genetic progress.
• 12 p.m. - Representatives of Merial will discuss deworming technology including LONGRANGE, the first extended-release deworming injection. This seminar includes a chili lunch provided by Merial.
• 1 p.m. - Dr. Amy Radunz of the University of Wisconsin - River Falls will cover basic ration balancing when using lower quality forages and how cow nutrition is vital to calf development.
• 2 p.m. - A panel of Brian McCulloh of Woodhill Farms, Lance Ellsworth of Cattle Visions and B.J. Jones of Wildcat Cattle Company will answer questions about choosing replacement females and selecting herd sires.
• 6 p.m. - Kenny Neville & Garrett Lampe will demonstrate fitting techniques for juniors interesting in improving their skills to get animals ready for the show ring. This seminar is supported by Stock Show University through Sullivan Supply and will be held in the Show Arena.
On Saturday, Sept. 28, Kevin Kirschbaum of Bloomington Livestock Exchange will lead a seminar at noon about marketing feeder and fed cattle.
Kirschbaum will have a discussion on what appeals to buyers in a sales barn setting and ways to maximize profitability during the preparation of cattle before the sale.
No registration is required to attend.
This year's World Beef Expo seminars are sponsored by LONGRANGE from Merial. The seminars, except the fitting clinic, will be held in the Wisconsin Products Pavilion.
For more information on the seminars, contact DATCP's Jeff Swenson at 608-224-5082 or email@example.com.
World Beef Expo will be held Sept. 27-29. This is the 21st anniversary of the World Beef Expo, which includes a show, sale, trade show, youth activities and the educational seminars.
To learn more about World Beef Expo, visit www.worldbeefexpo.com.