1 pound lean ground beef
15 oz tomato sauce or pizza sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cups Bisquick® baking mix
1 large egg
2/3 cup milk
8 oz sliced American or mozzarella cheese
2 oz canned mushroom slices, drained
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Heat the oven to 400F.
2. Cook and stir the meat in a large skillet until brown. Drain off the excess fat.
3. Stir in half of the tomato sauce and the oregano leaves into the meat mixture. Heat to boiling; then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
4. While the meat mixture is simmering, mix the baking mix, egg and the milk. Measure out 3/4 cup of the batter, and set aside. Spread the remaining batter in a greased 9x9x2-inch baking pan.
5. Pour into the remaining tomato sauce over the batter, spreading evenly. Layer 4 slices of the cheese, the meat mixture, the mushrooms and the remaining cheese on top of the batter and tomato sauce.
6. Spoon the reserved batter on the top of the cheese. Sprinkle the batter top with the grated Parmesan cheese and bake, uncovered, until it is golden brown (about 20 to 25 minutes).
7. Cool for 5 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
Serves 4 to 6.
2 red apples, washed and polished
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3 tbsp red cinnamon candy
1. Do not peel the apples. Remove the cores and slice each apple crosswise in 3/4-inch thick slices.
2. Bring the sugar and the water to a boil, and stir until sugar dissolves. Boil four minutes with the red cinnamon candy in the syrup.
3. Drop the apple rings into the syrup. Cover, and simmer gently until fruit is tender.
Linda's note: You can use this warm to garnish a meat platter or over homemade white cake. It's also great over ice cream!
1 can asparagus, drain but save the juice (you can use 2 cans, but juice only from 1 can — I use 2)
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and cut in slices lengthwise
Grated cheese — any type you like
4 tbsp butter
Liquid from the asparagus
1 cup milk
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1. In a saucepan mix butter, asparagus juice and milk. Warm the mixture, and then add the flour. Cook and stir till mixture is creamy and thickened, and then turn off stove.
2. In a greased casserole put half the asparagus and then put the peeled and sliced lengthwise eggs on top. Add the rest of the white sauce, and then a nice layer of cheese.
3. On top, put a layer of bread crumbs; you can add 11/2 tbsp melted butter, if desired.
4. Bake till cheese is light brown at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Butter for browning
½ cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups canned tomatoes, drained
11/2 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cups canned lima beans
11/2 cups grated American cheese
1. Brown onion and celery lightly in butter, and combine with tomatoes, seasonings, Worcestershire sauce and limas.
2. Cook slowly 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Alternate layers of lima bean mixture and cheese in buttered casserole, ending with cheese.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup grated American cheese
1 cup milk
1. Sift flour once, measure, add baking powder and salt and then sift again.
2. Cut in cheese and butter till crummy. Add milk gradually, stirring until soft dough is formed.
3. Drop from teaspoon on ungreased baking sheet.
4. Bake at 450 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.
Makes about 18 biscuits.
Linda's note: These biscuits are suitable to serve with fruit and vegetable salads for luncheon or for supper.
6 tbsp cocoa (as in Hershey's)
2 cups all-purpose flour
11/2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, melted ( 11/2 sticks)
1 cup cold water
1. Sift first 5 ingredients into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients but do not stir until all ingredients are in the bowl. Then beat well.
3. Bake in 2 greased pans at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
4. Frost with chocolate frosting when cool.
Linda's note: This recipe would also work well in a 9x13 cake pan. Just watch the baking time. Also, I would add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the recipe. My Grandma Majerus made this, and she made a brown sugar icing for the top!
11/4 cups milk
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour
½ cup instant (dry) mashed potatoes
1 pkg (2 to 3 tsp) yeast
This is made using the bread machine on the hottest summer days!
1. Mix ingredients.
2. Select "white bread; fresh milk cycle"
Makes a 11/2 lb loaf